SYNLAB specialises in providing end-to-end services for the diagnosis of LTBI in accordance with UK government guidelines, and is experienced in carrying out a broad range of pathology services in support of clinical trials.
The SYNLAB outbreak service (SOS) for LTBI screening, uses an Interferon Gamma Release Assay (IGRA) as a first-line diagnostic test for the following groups:
- People in hard to reach groups.
- Anyone aged 5 years and older in an outbreak situation where a large number of contacts need to be tested.
- New NHS healthcare workers, if they have recently arrived from high incidence countries, or if they have had contact with patients in settings where TB is highly prevalent.
- Immunocompromised patients with HIV and CD4 counts < 500 cells/mm3.
- Immunocompromised patients with prolonged steroid use, use of TNF alpha antagonists or drugs used to prevent rejection of transplanted organs.